Graduate Student Issues
The two tables addressing graduate student issues at the Women’s Networking Breakfast primarily discussed the need for networking, role models, and support.
They recommended consideration of the following:
1. Repeat this breakfast at next year’s LPSC and other national meetings like AGU and GSA. The opportunity to “talk, connect, and brainstorm” was welcomed.
2. Graduate students can set up lunches in their department and with other departments to discuss relevant issues.
3. Graduate students can set up lunch meetings with women speakers before departmental seminars and colloquia to discuss career path and issues of balance.
4. Fellowships specifically for women in planetary sciences. It was noted that the Amelia Earhart Fellowship offered annually by Zonta International is open to planetary and space sciences, in addition to astronomy and engineering.
5. A Graduate Student Bill of Rights.