Gender and the Postdoctorate
The National Postdoctoral Association is holding a National Summit on Gender and the Postdoctorate just before its annual meeting. The NPA ADVANCE meeting and projects support the postdoc-to-faculty transition for women scientists; it is supported by NSF. The following information is from the website.
Who should attend?
- Postdoctoral scholars
- Faculty and principal investigators involved in the training of postdocs
- Administrators and staff concerned with the retention of postdocs and women at their institution and in the academic workforce
- Individuals from agencies and professional societies that support postdocs or work on workforce diversity issues
The goals of the summit are:
- To examine the unique challenges faced by women as they seek to make the transition from postdoc to faculty.
- To consider the key factors influencing postdoc women’s decisions to pursue a career in academic science and engineering.
- To share promising practices and success stories for retaining postdoc women in the academic pipeline.
More information can be found at the NPA ADVANCE website. The meeting will be March 10-11, 2010, and there are still a few days left to submit an abstract for a poster on promising practices for assisting postdoc women to advance their careers.