Are you ready for the Lunar and Planetary Science Conference? It’s time to check that agenda, prioritize the sessions you want to attend, and fill out your schedule with other on-site events. Here’s a list of helpful professional development-type events; some are full, but others are first-come, first served, so add them to your schedule!
1. The Undergraduate Planetary Science Research Conference if you signed up and were accepted in January. If you find you can’t make it, please let the organizers know so someone else can come in your place! One of the featured panels will be Women in Planetary Science, and it will be interesting to hear about several women’s career paths. (If you plan to be in town Sunday morning and you’d like to help, please let me know!)
2. NASA’s Proposal Writing Workshop on Sunday afternoon, again, if you signed up in December or January.
3. NASA’s R&A Lunch is a casual meet-and-greet with NASA Headquarters discipline scientists for the research and analysis grant programs. All are welcome; the lunch will be held on Monday from 11:45-1.
4. The planetary science decadal survey report, “Vision and Voyages for
Planetary Science in the Decade 2013-2022,” will be briefed to the community by chair Steve Squyres on Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Waterway Ballroom 4. A response from Dr. Jim Green, NASA Headquarters Planetary Division Director, will follow. For those not attending LPSC, the session will be webcast live.
5. The Women’s Networking Breakfast will be held Tuesday morning from 7:00-8:30 a.m. in Montgomery A/B. Get there early to sign in, visit the buffet, and talk informally with your colleagues before the program begins. Dr. Jim Green will be welcoming the group, so you don’t want to be late! If you’re interested in discussing a certain topic (NASA postdoctoral program? Graduate school issues? The future of flight missions? Research grant issues? Forming a collaboration? Finding balance?), please leave a comment here or email us and we’ll designate certain tables for discussion so that you can find others interested in similar topics.
We’re looking forward to the events next week and hope you are too! If you haven’t signed up for the Women’s Networking Breakfast yet, please leave a comment or send an email with your name and job title (professor, research scientist, postdoctoral fellow, graduate student, undergraduate, journalist, jill-of-all-trades) and we’ll add you to the list. Everyone is welcome, but RSVPs are encouraged so we can be sure to have enough food available.
Edited 3/4/11 to add: Over 100 women in planetary science have signed up to attend the breakfast on Tuesday! And yes, there is still room — we’re adding more chairs to the Ballroom, so if you haven’t RSVP’d yet, it’s okay, just come on by and sign in Tuesday morning. I’ve left this post up to help people plan for LPSC, but there ARE a couple more interviews in the hopper that will go up over the next week too!