Congress to start marking budget Tuesday April 17th – send faxes now!
Hopefully everyone has heard about the potential budget cuts to planetary sciences in NASA (as much as 20%!). If you haven’t sent an e-mail or fax yet, now is the time!
Please note this update from the DPS:
FAXES CAN BE SENT BY ANYONE, BUT MOST WILL ONLY TAKE EMAILS FROM CONSTITUENTS – PLEASE SEE IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE OR SENATOR IS ON THIS LIST AND GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND SEND AN EMAIL FROM THERE.
To save some copying and pasting, I put up letter templates (.doc) with the contact information for the 13 key congress members on the appropriations committee (as sent out by the DPS) already filled in. I also put the suggested e-mail from the DPS in the letter, so you can customize, print and fax! Signed, personalized faxes count, by far, the most. Letters are good as well, but take up to 4-6 weeks to actually reach the congress person because of security.
There are several websites with information and online forms for sending e-mails, and finding your representatives information. There are also several groups and advocacy activities to check out:
- Planetary Society
- Division of Planetary Sciences (DPS) in the American Astronomical Society (AAS)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) – Planetary Sciences Section
- Young Scientists for Planetary Exploration (facebook group)
- NASA Graduate Student Petition (facebook group)
- National Planetary Exploration Car Wash & Bake Sale (advocacy campaign)
If I missed something on the list above let me know and I will add it!